For more than 13 years, Steven Ledgerwood has helped a wide range of clients achieve dramatic tax savings and increase the value of their businesses and investments. He has also helped other professionals increase the value of their practices by identifying new opportunities to assist clients and increase productivity.
Steven has served as general tax counsel to publicly traded and privately owned companies and as a tax and family wealth consultant to families with net estates of eight to ten figures, in several states. He also has extensive experience representing publicly traded and private companies in large-case tax appeals and tax litigation matters, and in mergers and acquisitions. He is included in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Tax Law.
Prior to attending law school at the University of Oklahoma and New York University, Steven began his professional career in 1986 as a life and health insurance agent. In 1992, Steven joined the Oklahoma City law firm of McAfee & Taft, where he served two terms as the practice leader of the firm’s Tax and Family Wealth Group. He has also served as a member and Vice Chairman of the Oklahoma Securities Commission.
Steven was awarded the Nathan Scarritt Prize for graduating with the highest academic standing in his class at the University of Oklahoma College of Law. He also served as an instructor of Legal Research and Writing and as Editor-in-Chief of the Oklahoma Law Review.
After receiving his J.D. from the University of Oklahoma, he continued his study of tax law at New York University and earned an LL.M. in Taxation. At New York University, Steven received one of six merit-based Tax Law Review Scholarships awarded to his class and served as a graduate editor of the Tax Law Review.
Books and Articles
Steven has co-authored three books and is the author of two law review articles. His published work includes:
- Modern Tax Litigation: How to Gain Tactical Advantage from the Initial Transaction through Case Resolution, published by Aspatore Books in “Inside the Minds: Tax Litigation Best Practices” (available in late 2006).
- Oklahoma Limited Liability Company Forms and Practice Manual, published by Data Trace Legal Publishers (First Edition, 1999).
- Oklahoma Senior Citizen’s Handbook, published by the Young Lawyers Division of the Oklahoma Bar Association (First Edition, 1996).
- Oklahoma LLCs v. Limited Partnerships: Choice of Entity for Valuation Discounts after 1997, 22 Oklahoma City University Law Review 611 (1997).
He has also authored numerous papers on business, tax, and family wealth topics, including choice of entity planning, partnership taxation, corporate taxation, business reorganizations, valuation planning, and strategies for tax audits, appeals and litigation.
Steven often speaks before attorneys, CPAs and business groups regarding a wide range of sophisticated tax and business planning topics. In addition, he has been a guest lecturer on international taxation at the University of Oklahoma College of Business and on wealth transfer planning, choice of entity planning, limited liability companies and federal tax court litigation at the University of Oklahoma College of Law. His speaking engagements have included:
- Recent Developments & Hot Topics in Subchapter K, Oklahoma Society of CPAs Annual Tax Institute (December, 2006)
- Business & Estate Planning with Limited Liability Entities, NBI Continuing Legal Education (March, 2005).
- Family Partnerships & Valuation Discounts, University of Oklahoma College of Law (Spring, 2004).
- Federal Tax Audit & Appeals Strategies, Oklahoma Society of CPAs Annual Tax Institute (December, 2003).
- Family Partnerships & Valuation Discounts, University of Oklahoma College of Law (Spring, 2003).
- Family Partnership & LLC Valuation Planning, CPA-Law Forum (2002).
- Choice of Entity Planning, Oklahoma Society of CPAs Annual Tax Institute (December, 2002).
- Reorganization of Business Entities, Oklahoma Society of CPAs Annual Tax Institute (December 2002).
- Family Partnerships, University of Oklahoma College of Law (Spring, 2002).
- Advanced Planning with S Corporations, Oklahoma Society of CPAs Annual Tax Institute (December, 1999).
- S Corporations & Choice of Entity Planning, Oklahoma Society of CPAs Annual Tax Institute (December, 1998).